The initial response to the question in the title really should be: “Why do you want to know the value of your business?” This response is not intended to be flippant, but is a question that really needs to be answered.
- Does an owner need to know for estate purposes?
- Does the bank want to know for lending purposes?
- Is the owner entertaining bringing in a partner or partners?
- Is the owner thinking of selling?
- Is a divorce or partnership dispute occurring?
- Is a valuation needed for a buy-sell agreement?
There are many other reasons why knowing the value of the business may be important.Details